Thursday, October 21, 2010

Writing

Well anyone who knows me would know I love to write. Yes they're not Shakespearean work but they are mine and no matter how horrible it seems I will always be proud that they came from my hand. So anyways I did what I've been telling myself to do for the past year (and I chose the middle of my exams to do it) and picked up random SPM English papers and write the 'essays'. I don't know why I chose to write english essays instead of a proper prompt on any writing website. I mean it is so restrictive I mean no cursing, no weird stuff like gays or gory murders or anything like that. So why did I do it? I don't know. Maybe because it is so restrictive I can write without worrying about...well I don't know what exactly but it must be something. Maybe it's the time limit so I know I have to keep it short. I didn't follow the time limit exactly but enough to keep the story at most 3 pages or so. Maybe Spm essays were the place I knew I couldn't write fanfiction so I tried to keep it original. 

So I've written 3 topics so far:
1) End with: She saw his true nature and decided that she might learn to love him after all.
2) Start with: “Put up your hands and don’t move!” a loud voice ordered everybody in the bank just as I had taken money from the cashier.
3) Start with: I didn’t know what happiness was...

Now guess which topic I hated the most. No seriously guess. If you chose lucky door number two then you are wrong. It's the third topic. 'But why?' you ask 'It's so open, you can write about anything'. Well I think that's the reason really. I mean when I get the topic during the exam the first thing I think about is what the most common story is going to be. Well easy 1) Love Story 2) (well that's obvious) and 3) er... exam, met him/her, fulfilled my dream, join contest... OMG my head's gonna explode. Y'see what I usually do is either make sure I never touch the common topic or start off with common topic and play a twist at the end. Obvious or not doesn't really matter but at least it isn't usual. So yea when I chose the 3rd question I made up some pathetic attempt at sounding shocking. Honestly I hated the story. It didn't sound right, like some blatant attempt to sound cool. I hate it. I liked what I did for the first story. It was simple and yet I don't know more story-like than essay-like which was what I was aiming for. The second story wasn't awesome or anything but I fell in love with the characters. What seemed like simple sentences at first to me built up the character in ways I never expected. Yea it sounds a bit syiok sendiri but I think everyone likes their stories at least for a week before calling it stupid and throwing it aside. It's our right as an author. 

So yea, I decided I'm gonna post up my stories here. Haha lucky you. I'm tempted to place it on Writing.Com as well but haha a little chicken to do so. It would be nice if I could receive some reviews though. It doesn't have to be good, constructive criticism is very welcomed. Thanks everyone. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment