Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sherlock Holmes Review (Finally)

New blood joins this earth
And quickly he's subdued
Through constant pained disgrace
The young boy learns their rules

As I am typing this post I'm watching Sherlock Holmes for the third time and I have no choice but to fulfill my promise. Ok as usual I'm going to warn you off spoilers. I'm not going to bother hiding anything so if you don't want spoilers please don't read.

Well, it turned out so much better than I expected from the trailers. When I first saw the trailer I was like great another Hollywood screw-up. How glad I was when I was proven wrong (though Hollywood was still written all over it). I mean it was had Sherlock Holmes written all over it with a modern twist to keep it exciting.

With time the child draws in
This whipping boy done wrong
Deprived of all his thoughts
The young man struggles on and on he's known
A vow unto his own
That never from this day
His will they'll take away-eay

The first time I watched Sherlock Holmes, I knew very very little of the books. Just the basic that any bookworm should know. So I went through it like yea, not bad. But when I watched it the second time after reading at least half of Sir Arthur's works; watched the brilliant Jeremy Brett at work and I knew exactly what to expect from Sherlock and still it didn't disappoint. I loved how RDJ used Sherlock's quotes and twist its meaning to make it hilarious for all fans.

T
hat I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never be

Never see
Won't see what might have been


So anyone who knows me well enough would know that the simplest way to get me hooked on any show is to give me all the bromance I desire. Haha Holmes and Watson are easily the Adam and Eve of Bromance. This pair must have really worked for me cause I don't feel like pairing them up together. They are awesome and their on-screen chemistry just hit the roof. Even in interviews RDJ and Jude couldn't keep thier hands off each other (in a total bromantic way). Haha who said only men enjoyed a good bromance every now and then.


What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never free
Never me
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN

Jude Law. OMG He is so HOT!!! Even with the mustache he still was so handsome. I mean even I always imagined Watson to be some slightly brainless, overweight fellow following Holmes around. I never imagined that that interpretion of Watson to be wrong all along. Jude is exactly how Watson should be. He made sure that Watson got his due. I mean Holmes would never lower his standards to hang around with an idiot. Watson had his good points and bad points. He was a perfect compliment of Holmes. Most of things that Holmes didn't bother to learn about, he knew pretty well. That was Doctor Watson not a bumbling fool who was there for comic relief or to make Sherlock look brilliant.

They dedicate their lives
To RUNNING all of his
He tries to please THEM all
This bitter man he is

RDJ. What can I say? For some reason I never liked him before. Until now I don't know why and I feel so silly for ever thinking so. RDJ is a wonderful actor. I mean I've just watched Ironman and Tropic Thunder and I'm like O_O. RDJ's Sherlock is definitely unique in it's own way. I'm just glad they mentioned the cocaine in the movie (a small hint but still). I feel that the drugs were Holmes' fatal flaw and people tend to ignore it to make him more 'heroic'. Unlike many other Holmes, RDJ's Sherlock was human. They portrayed him as a different individual but still very human, flaws and all. A lot of fans doesn't seem to like that the movie concentrated so much on Sherlock's flaws but... I don't know... it just made it easier to relate to him I guess and while Watson's quote 'You're not human.' might relate to other Sherlock's, it just doesn't seem to apply to RDJ's Sherlock.

Throughout his life the same
He's battled constantly
This fight he cannot win
A tired man they see no longer cares
The old man then prepares
To die regretfully
That old man here is me

Lord Blackwood...hmn... good villian but not great. I found that giving him a 'pitiable' past did not really make him a better villian but rather more cliched. Thank heavens they did not dwell on that. I'm just glad that they didn't decide to put magic in the movie. Halfway through it I actually believed they were going to and was sorely dissappointed. Thank God I was wrong. Heard a rumour that Brad Pitt was going to play Moriaty. Heavens no! Moriaty is supposed to be pretty old, at least compared to Sherlock. We don't need a pretty boy playing him.

What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never be

Never see
Won't see what might have been


Irene Adler. Well I hated her and the role she played. I know this is Hollywood and all that but seriously a love interest for Sherlock Holmes? No way! I mean fine, there was no way they were going to make Sherlock asexual but come on, making out with Irene. That is out of the question. This is supposed to be the only woman who has ever intellectually beaten Sherlock but I really don't see much brains on her, at least not enough to satisfy. they made her into a criminal as well. Somehow that was to be expected and it really didn't bug me much but I found her pretty useless throughout the story. I'm glad Holmes left her on the bridge but we all know she is going to be back and I don't think I can stand anymore love-struck Holmes. Mary Morstan played her small role rather well. They showed her exactly to be the strong (and not over-bearing) woman she was described as in the books. No complaints about her. I eally wouldn't mind seeing more of her in future movies. (Good lord. Please don't let the writers kill either of these women off so that either lover will be extremely emo/swear revenge/or whatever other cliche)

What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never free
Never me
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN

Jeremy Brett, the best Sherlock Holmes ever (I'm sorry RDJ). I do love RDJ's Sherlock but Jeremy is the most classic and faithful to the books. I wasn't joking when I said this man inspired me in strange ways. I can't put it into words; nor can I pinpoint exactly what did he inspire but he did. Never had I felt so strongly a strange admiration for a person's life story before. I mean in all honesty there is truly nothing spectacular and yet... Maybe it's because this man is bi-polar. I freely admit, I'm pretty hypochondriac-like when it comes to mental-illness. Perhaps I'm worried about whether my strange mood-swings have something to do with bi-polarness or just plain depression. I don't think I'm depressed but then haha hypochondriac. Maybe what I'm in love with is the tragedy of the whole thing. How the meds that were keeping him sane were the ones that killed him after all. How not long after he died they found a way to replace(repair?) a faulty heart without doing a transplant. Maybe it's the fact that smoking was one of the factors that caused his death on it just hit too close to home with me since most of my family members smoke. I'm worried...nothing that I will admit out loud though. See? Damn it! A review of Sherlock Holmes also can turn emo. Sigh....

What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never be
Never see
Won't see what might have been

Klar. I think I'll stop here now. There's more that I should say but nah I think this is enough. Can't wait till the Sherlock Holmes sequel comes out. Right now I have to settle for watching all RDJ and Jude Law's old movies and catching up with the Sherlock Holmes Granada series. Goodnight everyone and thanks for reading. So sorry for the long break. Ciao.

What I've felt
What I've known
Never shined through in what I've shown
Never free
Never me
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN

PS Check out this group called 'Gregorian''. I think they're monks. Haha wierd I know but I like their chanting. They even changed some of the songs like Boulevard of Broken Dreams, Unforgiven, Tears in Heaven etc. Check them out.

whoa, whoa

Never Free
Never Me
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN
You labeled me
I'll label you
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN


PSS A special thanks and a shout-out to Debbie. If not for your comment today in Rock Cafe, I would never have finished this post. That was a nice thing to say but now I'd probably stress out about whether my blog is good enough. I don't think my blog is as good as you say, I'm just writing what I feel. Again thanks alot.

Never Free
Never Me
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN
You labeled me
I'll label you
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN
Never Free
Never Me
So I dub thee UNFORGIVEN

No comments:

Post a Comment