Monday, February 08, 2010

Women of Silk River

I'm turning my back on this life for as long as I can,
Someone make me star 'cause I sure as hell can't be a man,
I'm too fragile and clever you know
And this universe just leaves me cold
I'm just hanging around here, I'm longing for someone to hold

Ok here's a review. Ok I know I know I promised I'd do one on Sherlock Holmes but...sigh. Maybe when I rewatch it, I promise. Then I shall tell you about how wonderful the movie was until I got into reading one of the most famous literature books of our time and how I got into two actors whom until now I have no idea how they slipped past my radar. Then I shall also tell you about a man I should have discovered long ago and how he for no reason at all brought out a strange inspiration in me. (Sorry sleepy, I know my sentences are not making much sense) I promise I shall get into all this some day soon but not now. Now I have another review to write about a play I watched no more than 2 hours ago.

You always knew didn't you Mother
You always knew as mothers always do
You always knew didn't you Mother
I was a stranger in this world

Ok so basically this play is about the 'amahs' of Malaysia. These are women from China who come to Malaysia and Singapore to escape the war. So the play consists of 4 amahs, their mat salleh mistress and a japanese stranger they found injured. In the sense of acting there isn't much I can complain about. I found the youngest of the four Amahs acting a bit bland but nothing to really complain about. The japanese dude was stiff but so typically of a japanese gentleman of that time so I can't really complain even I can only applaud him. Even when showing remorse for what he has done is done so remarkably stoically and yet the emotion was there. Brilliant. The mat salleh lady too does a wonderful job and even holds the stage when she begins talking to her invisible guests. The amahs all played their roles spectacularly and are pretty convincing in their roles.

This dumb education was never quite part of my plan
So you left me to ruin but I'll always know who I am
I'm too fragile and clever you see
And your universe just leaves me cold
I'm just hanging around here, I'm longing for someone to hold

Ok plot. Erm...well paced I guess. It wasn't too slow nor too rushed. It let the characters develop in their own time without killing the story. Wasn't too keen on the ending though. It just seemed to...abrupt. I mean it was a good ending, served it's purpose but it ended at the climax. Just as things were beggining to get fun. BAM! The end. Not my choice ending. There are some loose ends that just weren't tied up. Maybe they want the audience to figure it out themselves but...too loose if you ask me. For example the father of the baby. I mean the hints were all there I mean I could figure it out no big deal but without throwing any real light on it, it just lost it's purpose. I mean the identity of the father of the child just shed light on so many matters and gave a deeper personality to some characters but without really addressing it some people might have missed it and it was just lost. There was also a part where the 'head' amah wrote a letter to her friend in China telling her it was her last letter and she will explain why when she goes home. Wait what? After that she never shows any interest in returning to China (and the letter does sound like a suicide note which of course she hints nothing at) so what was the point of that line? Yes the letter explained her feelings but that line was so out of place. I mean this is not a movie; this is a play and every line counts even if it is meant for a comedic purpose. So what was that line for? Did I miss something?

You always knew didn't you Mother
You always knew as mothers always do
You always knew didn't you Mother
I was a stranger in this world

Hmm ok characters. I think that the British lady was a rather believable character. She reminds me so much that lady in Naukar, our English literature short story. She doesn't dwell on her homeland but she isn't used to Malaya that much is certain. She is so believable and there is little I can say I don't like about her. She is patient with the amahs which in any chinese family they would have probably been beaten or scolded. Even when she decides to cheat on her husband you can't help but root for her. The Japanese man played a rather small role in the story and had very little development but again, very believable. He is instantly likable and there is an endearing quality to him. The best thing about the amahs is that you can see where they are all coming from. I think that by using 'chieh' to call each other makes the bond between them so very believable. I find it pretty interesting that the 'head' amah is Catholic and pretty banana-like and yet she is the one who has such a firm hold on old traditions. The second and third Amahs are mainly comic relief I guess. I mean they do have their own characters but their stories are made to be pretty funny. The third's character becomes pretty annoying after awhile (since in the later part of the show she keeps repeating the same lines). The youngest is so believable and yet you just become so annoyed with her. In some ways she's pretty Mary-Sueish but the fact that the spotlight is hardly on her makes her more human and less annoying.

Whoever told you that these were the days of our lives?
The sweet boys they crumble, and the wicked ones rise and survive
And they're running our lives, yes they're running our lives

The lighting for the play was awesome. Of course I havent' watch any/many plays so I wouldn't know how it's supposed to work but yea the lighting was brilliant. Just the simple things changed alot and even the music suited wonderfully. My only complaint was at the ending of the play where things were beggining to be a little dramatic I think they overdid the music. I mean it was so hard to hear the characters talk and it seemed more like bombings was occuring. (Whether it really was I wouldn't know but they hinted nothing really) I think slightly less dramatic would have been nice. I think how they added Cantonese into the drama worked out nicely and for some reason it was funny every time they did. Though I think that there were parts where they put too much and went over board with it especially the Mandarin parts that non-speakers where a little lost. I realised that half of the audience weren't even chinese speakers so I think they should have found a way to cater for them. Overall good show. I'd definitely recommend it to those who enjoy watching plays. i find it a welcome relief from the action that is flooding the tv screens now and it's nice to watch and enjoy a character-driven drama. Well that's it then. Ciao

You always knew didn't you Mother
You always knew as mothers always do
You always knew didn't you Mother,
I was a stranger in this world

PS Can't believe I've never mentioned about Taboo until now. This is Stranger in this World which is sang by 'Boy George' the main(?) character of Taboo. It's a really lovely song. If you've never heard about it you should check it out. Watch the West End one and NOT Broadway. Rosie O' Donell spoiled Taboo. Ciao again

On a clear day, I can see myself for miles
Oh Mother, oh Mother
On a clear day
Oh Mother, Oh Mother, Oh Mother...

No comments:

Post a Comment